Thursday, March 3, 2011

Making Patterns and Using Manipulatives




Teaching Patterns is a big part of Kindergarten (at least for now, the Common Core might change that). Whenever I teach patterns I use manipulatives. This allows the students to really work the objects in front of them to create their patterns. This helps make a connection with the patterns that crayons and paper can't always do. After this then you can move onto paper and pencil patterns. But please be sure to use your math manipulatives when teaching, the hands-on activities really make a difference with your kids.

2 comments:

  1. Wow.... I wish I had a teacher like you when I was in kindergarten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that using manipulatives is one of the best tools for teachers to use. Anything to have the kids have fun and learn at the same time is great.

    ReplyDelete